What is it about sweet and salty desserts that is so satisfying? This is the perfect combination of creamy caramel combined with decadent bittersweet chocolate and topped with the right amount of Malden sea salt.
Yield: 10-inch tart (12 to 16 servings)
½ cup (1 stick) unsated butter
⅔ cup icing sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp 35% cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1½ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
2 cup sugar
½ cup water
¼ cup corn syrup
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
½ cup 35% cream
2 tbsp creme fraiche, or sour cream
Pinch of salt
For the Chocolate Glaze:
7 oz extra-bittersweet chocolate (70 to 85%), chopped
1 cup 35% cream
Malden salt, as needed
- Using paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar. Add yolk, cream, and vanilla. Beat till smooth. Sift in flour and cocoa and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Chill for about 1 hour in the fridge.
- Roll dough to fit a 10” tart pan and chill for about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350⁰F for about 15 minutes. Remove weights and bake for 12 minutes longer, or until pastry looks dry and set. Cool completely.
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar, water, and corn syrup to a boil. Stir or swirl the pan occasionally, until the mixture is a medium amber color, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat. Carefully but quickly whisk in the butter, cream, creme fraiche, and salt until smooth. Pour hot caramel into the tart, and allow to cool and set, for at least 1 hour.
- Place chocolate in a bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. Pour hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour glaze over the tart, tilting the tart for even coverage. Refrigerate until tart is set, at least one hour, then sprinkle with a few granules of sea salt. Keep refrigerated until serving.