Prep Time: 5 min Cook Time: 5 min Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: Makes about 6 cups
Matcha tiramisu is making waves but have you ever tried Matcha Popcorn? If you love things sweet and salty this is one to try. This vegan friendly treat will definitely be added to your repeat list. The subtle yet unmistakable fresh taste and scent of matcha makes for complex mixture of pleasing flavors.
What is Matcha?
Matcha is a high-grade green tea ground into powder. Matcha literally means "powdered tea." Unlike traditional green tea, matcha preparation involves covering the tea plants with shade cloths before they're harvested. This triggers the growth of leaves with better flavor and texture. The leaves are hand selected, steamed briefly to stop fermentation, then dried and aged in cold storage, which deepens the flavor. The dried leaves are then stone-ground into a fine powder.
What is Matcha Good for?
- Helps detoxify the body
- Boosts energy
- Strengthens immune system
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Helps to simulate skins glow
- Can help ward off disease/sickness - loaded with antioxidants.
1½ tbsp coconut oil
¼ cup popcorn kernels
1 tbsp matcha
½ tbsp coconut sugar
- In a small bowl, whisk together the matcha and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium-large stockpot, heat oil over medium-high to high heat. Once the oil has melted, add popcorn kernels, swirl the pot to coat the corn kernels.
- Cover, shake every 10 seconds or so to move the kernels around. You should hear continual popping about 3 minutes in, at this time you can stop shaking, listen for the slow down of popping.
- Turn off the heat, uncover, add seasoning, cover, and carefully shake the pot every which way to coat your popcorn.
Using a Reusable Bag
- Cook the popcorn per the Reusable Bag Popcorn recipe below
- Transfer the popcorns to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, melt coconut oil.
- Once the popcorn is done, drizzle with oil and top with seasoning, toss to coat well.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
How to make popcorn in a Cuisipro Reusable Bag
- Add ¼ cup of corn kernels and one tablespoon of your preferred cooking oil (or butter) to a Cuisipro reusable bag.
- Leave your Reusable bag partially open to vent and microwave on high for 2 ½ minutes or until popping slows. Watch carefully to keep your popcorn from burning.
- Carefully remove the Reusable bag from the microwave using an oven mitt. It will be hot.
- Then and add your favourite flavorings to taste.
- Mix and enjoy.