Hawaiian Huli Huli Grilled Chicken Wings
Looking for the perfect chicken wing recipe? Look no further our Hawaiian Huli Huli Grilled Chicken Wings are so simple and flavourful. They make the perfect appetizer, main or side dish.
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
- 3 pounds (1.4kg) chicken wings
- 1 cup (240ml) unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup (120ml) soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) sriracha chili sauce
- Thinly sliced scallions (white and light green parts only), for garnish
- Grilled pineapple wedges, for serving (optional)
- 1-inch piece ginger root (1/4 ounce; 7g), peeled and finely grated
- Place chicken wings in a large zipper-lock freezer bag. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, soy sauce, light brown sugar, chicken stock, ginger, garlic, and sriracha. Pour half of sauce into bag of chicken, seal bag, and toss to coat. Cover remaining sauce in bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Place bag of chicken in refrigerator and let marinate for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- Light 1 chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread coals evenly over half of coal grate. Alternatively, set half the burners of a gas grill to high heat. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill, and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil grilling grate.
- Remove wings from marinade, allowing excess to drip off; discard marinade. Place wings on cooler side of grill, cover with vents partially open, and cook, occasionally brushing with reserved often with sauce to build up a nice glaze.sauce and turning wings, until wings are well browned and cooked through, about 30 minutes. Move wings to hot side of grill and cook until browned all over, about 3 minutes per side, brushing.
- Serve chicken wings with thinly sliced scallions and grilled pineapple, if desired.