This delicious cake recipe was created by our guest Chef Mardi Michels. Mardi is a cookbook author & is a full-time French teacher at an all boys school. Mardi also runs cooking classes for boys aged 7-12 at Les Petits Chefs. Including being a current contributor to Food Network Canada. In her spare time. she also teaches french and pastry cooking classes. Learn more about Mardie: Click here.
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 35 min Total Time: 45min
- 6 tablespoons (85g) salted butter
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (38g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) ground almonds (almond meal or almond flour*)
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup (66g) semi sweet chocolate chip
- Pre-heat oven to 400˚F. Lightly grease an 8-inch loaf pan and line it with parchment paper, leaving some overhang on each side to help remove the loaf when it’s baked.
- Melt the butter (either in a small pot on the stovetop over medium heat or in the microwave for about 1 minutes). Set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks with electric beaters (approx. 2 minutes on high).
- Whisk the sugar, flour, ground almonds, cocoa powder and baking powder in a small bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg whites and use a rubber spatula to gently fold until the dry ingredients are just combined.
- Add the cooled, melted butter to the batter and use a rubber spatula to gently mix until the butter is completely incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips using a rubber spatula.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan, using a rubber spatula to smooth the top as best you can.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the centre is slightly puffed and the edges are crispy and coming away from the pan. There may be cracks in the top of the loaf. A toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf should come out fairly clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the loaf pan on a wire cooling rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the loaf pan using the parchment paper to lift it out and place on a wire cooling rack and allow to come to room temperature.
Tools Used in this Recipe:
- Stainless steel mixing bowls
- Cuisipro stainless steel measuring cups & spoon set
- Balloon whisk
- Silicone Spatula
- Loaf pan
Step by Step Images: